Manufacturers rely on the distribution process to ensure that their products reach the retailers. Distributors also provide services such as storage, promotion, and marketing of manufactured products and, thereby, reducing production costs. Securing a reliable distribution channel may constitute some challenges, as manufacturers may experience difficulty locating effective and experienced distribution company. Success in production is only achieved when the products reach the desired consumers.
Retail traders such as convenience stores, grocery stores, and supermarkets would rather obtain manufactured products from distributors because of these reasons:
- Distributors offer a variety of products as they may partner with more than one manufacturer and will, therefore, have different products in stock.
- Some distributors allow retailers to return products that were not sold as distributors have the required facilities to store a large number of products.
- Distributors offer more time to retailers to pay back credit by extending their credit. Some retailers choose to purchase their products from single distributors as this saves costs and makes the process of getting products easier.
For manufacturers the process of producing, packaging, storing, and subsequently transporting the products to retail outlets or consumers may be an overwhelming task, this is why distributors help in reducing the pressure on manufacturers by connecting with retailers. Distribution companies, therefore, perform the process of storing and transporting these manufactured products to the retail traders.
In the process of trying to locate a distributor for your product, having a list of potential distributors you wish to contact is always a good idea. This list may be compiled from referrals from people, who have worked with these distributors, through word of mouth, or by personal research conducted. This helps in streamlining the process and making it less tedious. Distribution companies are not just storage facilities or transportation unit, they are more like business partners, and as a manufacturer, partnering with the right distributor helps in achieving success in your business.
Here is a list of distributors who have made a name for themselves in the distribution industry and are recognized by many manufacturers and retailers.
- MCLANE COMPANY INCORPORATED, TEMPLE, TEXAS.
- CORE-MARK INCORPORATED, SAN FRANCISCO, CARROLL.
- EBY-BROWN COMPANY, NAPERVILLE
- H.T. HACKNEY COMPANY, KNOXVILLE
- FARNER-BOCKEN COMPANY, CARROLL
- HAROLD LEVINSON ASSOCIATES INCORPORATED, FARMINGDALE
- IMPERIAL/HARRISON SUPER REGIONAL DISTRIBUTORS, ELMWOOD
- J. POLEP DISTRIBUTION SERVICES, CHICOPEE
- CHAMBERS & OWEN INCORPORATED, JANESVILLE.
- INCORPORATED, WEST MIFFLIN.